Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mosaic Tables



This one started from four shutters, and an old coffee table top. I put the shutters together with some 1 by 2's to attach and give support. Then painted everything white. The mosaic is done with tiles, an old broken flower pot and glass half rounds.

















This is the finished piece.
















A nice useful piece made from some old salvaged stuff.
Perfect for cottage or beach decor. So shabby chic.















This one was a lot more work as the original top was warped and curled up on edges.





















I cut grooves in the underside of the original round top to get it flat again and then cut another round piece from plywood. I then applied this to the bottom of the original. The grooves made by sawing will be filled in.












Now we have a flat top. The loose veneer has been removed and sanded.
















I then took off the legs from the base and glued them as they had come loose.
After this I removed all the old finish, used wood putty to fill all the joints and cracks. When dry I sanded both pieces to a smooth clean surface.





















I used glass for the mosaic. The first thing I did was apply a temporary rim around the edge the right width to hold everything in place.
I then used a mortar that would adhere to glass and placed the tiles in the design I wanted. This dried overnight.










After mortar was dry I then troweled the grout and let it set till workable. It is important to clean the grout off the pieces of tile before it cures.
















The excess grout has been removed from the tiles and the rim removed. Let this cure for 24 hours.

I then took stained glass and cut into pieces for the outside rim. Each edge was ground to give a smooth surface for safety.








This was then glued around the edge to finish. When glue was dry, mortar was pushed into spaces and glass cleaned.

The base was painted a matte black.






The finished piece.

If you click on images you can see larger pictures.













A sad old piece of furniture becomes a work of art.


No comments: